It can be a cruel twitch of fate when twitching muscles kick in, just as you’re drifting off to dreamland. Adding to that unfortunate tale, when you don’t get a good night’s sleep, the next day can bring decreased concentration and increased muscle spasms. If poor sleep has become your fate, these healthy sleep tips and treatments for twitching muscles could set you on the path for a new tale of restfulness.
BEHIND THE SCENES OF TWITCHING MUSCLES
Muscle spasms and twitching can seem so random at times, but clearly, your body is trying to get your attention.
Here are a few triggers that get those restless legs moving or eyes twitching:
- Low electrolyte levels or dehydration as a result of exercise or heavy sweating
- Stress … enough said, right?
- Too much caffeine
- Medications such as amphetamines, antidepressants, and diuretics
- Inconsistent exercise
- Lack of sleep
THE IMPORTANCE OF RESTORING YOUR BODY, MUSCLES AND MIND
Sleep can be a significant contributor toward restoring your body and muscles; giving you the energy you need for fulfilling daily tasks and enjoying an active lifestyle. According to The Better Sleep Council, while asleep your amazing body is restoring organs, bones, and tissue; replenishing immune cells; and circulating human growth hormone. So you can see, the quality of your sleep has a profound effect on physical, emotional and mental wellbeing. It’s not just your muscles that benefit, but your metabolism, skin, creativity and memory, and motivation levels.
REWRITING THE SCRIPT FOR A BETTER NIGHT’S REST
If you’re determined not to let muscle spasms, leg pain, or symptoms of restless legs steal the scene, here are a few tips to redirect your story of healthy, natural living:
- Exercise during the day rather than right before bedtime.
- Taper your caffeine consumption as the day continues.
- Avoid alcohol — instead drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day.
- Eat healthy, whole foods and mineral-rich foods such as bananas, sweet potatoes, dark leafy greens, nuts and seeds, salmon, tomatoes, melons, and legumes.
- Relax before bedtime by meditating, reading a book, doing a crossword puzzle, enjoying a massage, or taking a warm bath.
When twitching or cramping muscles persist, alternative pain relief products like NeoRelief for Muscle Cramping and Restlessness can be applied for soothing that’s clear, odorless, and safe for sensitive skin. The key is to prevent twitching muscles from keeping you awake more than 20 minutes, as this can cause ongoing sleep issues. Continued, unresolved muscle spasms should be discussed with your doctor.
Setting the stage for healthier living isn’t always easy, but giving these measures a try might be the change you need for taking on your dreams — day or night.